The Autonomous District Councils being autonomous bodies under the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India, the District Council Affairs Department of the State Government acts as the co-ordinating Department between the District Councils and other Government Departments of the State Government. At present, Meghalaya has three Autonomous District Councils - the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council, the Jaiñtia Hills Autonomous District Council and the Garo Hills Autonomous District Council.
The functions and activities of the Department are broadly as follows:-
- Conduct of General Elections and Bye-Elections to the District Councils in accordance with the provisions of the Assam and Meghalaya Autonomous Districts (Constitution of District Councils) Rules, 1951.
- Constitution of the District Councils after the General Elections to the District Councils - i.e. convening the First Session of the District Council(s) and the election of the Chairman thereafter.
- Processing the Bills, Rules and Regulations framed/passed by the Autonomous District Councils for the assent or the approval of the Governor.
- Processing and sanctioning of Grants-in-Aid to the District Councils from the State Government and the Government of India, including preparation of Budget Estimates.
- Co-ordinating the proposals/works of the District Councils with the various Departments of the State Government and concerned Ministries of the Government of India.